Google introduced release web-browser Chrome 55. Simultaneously available stable release of free Chromium project, acting as the basis of Chrome. The Chrome browser is use the Google logos supplied by the Flash module, the existence of a system sending notifications in the event of failure, modules for playback of protected video content, the system automatically updates and transmission when looking RLZ-parameters.
The main changes in Chrome 55:
- Implemented new portion of the restrictions on the playback of Flash content: default is now proposed to use HTML5 for websites that only support Flash, when first opened displays the notification with the proposal to include Flash, instead of the clicks to trigger a specific content;
- From the menu removed the option to manually select text encoding that allows you to override the encoding selected for an open page automatically. Users the lack of automatic encoding selection is proposed to use an external add-on.
- The in-app document viewer PDF added hotkey “ctrl + \”, allowing you to switch between scaling modes fit to page and fit to width;
- Information blocks with the security settings and access level are translated into design in style Material Design;
- Removed the ability to return to the classic (not Material Design) interface through the about:flags;
- In the address bar provided a display explanations about the type of the current connection, for example, for secure communications Secure mark appears, and when issues “Not Secure” or “Dangerous”;
- In experimental mode added Memory Coordinator (to enable, use the option “–enable-features=MemoryCoordinator”), making decisions about the end of the browser processes in case of shortage in the system memory. If the operating system terminates processes based on the nature of memory consumption, Memory Coordinator appreciates the importance associated with the processes tab allowing to displace only a secondary tab, but keep an important and actively used. Details about the memory allocation in Chrome can be assessed at chrome://discards;
- In the version for the Android platform has a built-in download Manager. In addition, in the embedded processor playback multimedijnyj files using HTML5 tags in the video/audio has a button to download the associated content file. If not all the media player buttons fit on the screen (for smartphones), not in place of the functionality is now shown in a pop-up menu.
- Been providing a uniform means of handling events from mouse and touch screen. If previously developers had to separately process the MouseEvent and TouchEvent, Chrome 55 added a new mechanism PointerEvents, which allows the control of one handler for all the events associated with the movement of the pointer. An important feature of PointerEvents is the lack of locking the scroll. In addition, to respond to the input in Chrome provided by two new methods: the CSS property touch-action to bind to a display of gestures and auxclick event to handle clicks extra mouse buttons;
- CSS new mode of formatting of the text with automatic hyphenation, turn on the property “hyphens: auto”. Mode automatically transfers the portion of words to a new line, allowing maximum use of available screen space, avoiding voids;
- For event handlers implemented option “once”, the installation of which callback the call is made only once, after which the event handler will be deleted and will not be invoked for subsequent events of this type;
- Sites the opportunity of labeling a permanent storage, preventing the automatic cleaning of data for this website, stored using the indexed database API cache or localstorage API;
- In the version for the Android platform introduced explicit activation sound through the Web Audio API in iframe blocks downloaded from other sites (similar to how we need to manually start playback of the content in the tags audio and video);
- In the TLS stack added a mechanism GREASE (Generate Random Extensions And Sustain Extensibility), which allows to avoid problems with incorrect TLS servers;
- In the TLS stack added support of algorithm of digital signatures RSA-PSS defined in the specification of TLS 1.3;
- On the Android platform to speed up data loading when connected via 2G now will not load scripts from third-party domains and blocking further parsing of the page (inline via document.write());
In addition to innovations and bug fixes, the new version resolves 36 vulnerabilities. Many of the vulnerabilities detected by automated testing tools, AddressSanitizer, MemorySanitizer, Control Flow Integrity, and LibFuzzer. Critical issues that allow you to bypass all security levels browser and execute code on the system outside of the sandbox environment were not identified. Under the programme the payment of a reward for the discovery of vulnerabilities for the current release, Google paid 25 awards in the amount of 70 thousand US dollars (five awards of $7500, one prize of $5000, one prize of $3500, five awards of $3000, one award of $2,500, one award of $2,000, one award of $1500, two awards of $1000 and two awards of $500). The amount is not final because the amount of seven remuneration has not been determined.